Thursday, September 8, 2016

The morning after...

As I am sure many of you already know, we had a pretty significant hurricane hit the Baja Monday night/Tuesday morning. Hurricane Newton was a CAT 1 hurricane with 6-7 inches of rain, 50 MPH winds with gusts to 85 MPH,

Since my main priority is the boats that we manage, and are responsible for, birding had to take a back seat for a few days. I did get out Sunday morning for a Birthday brunch, with a  trip to Gran Sueno, or Bahia Muertos as we all know if to have been called. I wrote a quick story about that morning  here.     http://www.10000birds.com/birthday-brunch.htm?doing_wp_cron=1473372877.7838120460510253906250

As the storm rolled in Monday night, I was up all night patrolling the docks, checking on the boats, the lines and the boats that were next to the ones I am responsible for. If they are not prepared well, then they could come loose and do huge amounts of damage to the boat next door, so to speak.

I have often wondered exactly where the birds go, when these wind events show up?  I got my answer, at least where on particular Black-crowned Night Heron spent the night. It was a very hard night for all concerned, and this little heron was no better off than I was. It had tucked it's self tight up against the head wall to the marina. By the time the storm was over, it was soaked, cold, and more than a little unhappy! But later in the morning, I saw it fly away, ready to face what ever the next day would bring it!

I finally nicknamed him Newton, for the storm that was giving both of us such a bad night.....so, here is Newton, The Night Heron.

Here he is tucked in away from the left to right wind.


And here is a close up of our hero!!



No comments:

Post a Comment