Saturday, January 21, 2017

There is a always a bird somewhere.

The amount of time that I spend tracking down, photographing or showing other people birds can at time be a bit over whelming, especially to my lovely wife Jeanne. Her patience is worthy of sainthood! When ever we travel, there always seems to be at least some small amount of that time set aside for me to track down the birds of that new location. Now that Jeanne is back walking like a champion, I am making a concerted effort to make sure that there is a better balance in our time, and she has the opportunity to dedicate some time to photography that she enjoys. So, with that in mind, last weekend when we went to Guadalajara, an city of 8 +  million people, and a rich history, we make the decision to spend one day at Bosque los Colomos park so I could chase birds, and then to Tlaquepaque, the historic district so Jeanne could shoot the colors and architecture.  

With this division of interest, she ends up reading a book in a park some where while I am off in the trees, and then I sit is a cafĂ© while she wanders the parks, churches and town squares! No matter where we are there just always seems to be a bird or two around. Case in point, last week Jeanne wandered around the historic areas, ands I sat under a tree, watching the Hummingbirds, Western Tanagers, Yellow-rumped Warblers, and Gila Woodpeckers all flying in and out of a very old tree in the middle of church courtyard. The church had started it construction in the 1700's, so this tree had to be very old, but just how much so I have no way of telling.

This Gila Woodpecker found some kind of white sappy stuff that it dug out and ate.



No comments:

Post a Comment